Thursday, March 27, 2014

Washable, More Like Laughable

When I separated from my ex husband I had to get OUT and took very little with me in regards to furniture.  I got the couch and chair, my mattress, a bed frame for the Girl, Boy's dresser, and the dining room table.  I had $1000 to furnish my home so off I went to IKEA.  This meant I bought as much as possible with little (because that stuff adds up FAST).  I wound up buying the cheapest mattresses I could for my children.

Well, Girl still wets the bed on occasion and this means that in spite of my constant spraying down and protective layers her mattress was getting kind of smelly.  The tag on her mattress said the cover was removable and washable so off it came and after two washes it finally came out without a scent.  The mattress itself (cheap foam wrapped around springs) was sprayed down with an enzymatic cleaner and left to bake in the sun for the better part of a day.

When I took off the cover I knew I was in for trouble when it was time to put it back together, but I had no clue how hard it would be.  That foam is very grippy and did not work well when trying to shove it back into the cover.  The cover has a soft inner nap that wanted to stick to the foam and stay where it was.  After three attempts I finally got it back together with much cursing and back wrenching effort.

It doesn't look like much and pardon the mess in the garage, it's my staging zone for closet and clothing sorting at the moment so it's a hot mess, but here is a picture of success.


Don't do it.  Just don't.  I mean it was worth all the effort and I'll certainly state that I'm thrilled with how clean and fresh smelling it is now, but I was lied to.  Washable my ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment