Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Reuse It

I'm really big into reusable products.  I usually have a single roll of paper towels hidden under the sink, but I have a big drawer full of washcloths, hand towels, and cloth napkins that are in constant use.  I am not a huge fan of disposable paper products, I feel that they are wasteful, not only of resources, but of money.  While cloth items are a bit of an up front investment, they have saved me so much money over the years.  

I tend to keep an eye out for clearances, specifically at the end of holidays, for things like cloth napkins.  It seems those are the hardest for me to replace since I prefer cotton and cotton napkins are pretty expensive.  In fact, I've been scouring lately but haven't seen much.  I've lost a good stack of napkins in the past six months to company and kids, it seems people feel that a dirty napkin should be thrown away instead of washed because it's gross.

One of my favorite reusable items is my reusable lunch baggies.  They're just a laminated fabric that's moisture resistant, they have cute prints, and they've lasted me about four years now.  The ones I have are a bit faded, but still kicking strong, but of course I've lost many over the years since the kids throw stuff away on accident or they just get left behind at the lunch table.

Since my budget is strict, and I don't have much money for extras like lunchskins and other big brand reusable products, I've taken to researching into making my own.  I have purchased the needed fabrics, of course finding the time seems to be the hardest task of all.  I do enjoy sewing, but it seems that those around me are not as fond of the idea of me getting lost in the machine for hours on end.  Snacks, homework help, attention, cuddles, and fight mediation are highly sought out in my home and peace is a thing I know very little about.

About two months ago, I lost my trusty Kleen Kanteen that has seen me through two pregnancies and five moves.  I know I've gotten my money's worth out of my investment, but the thought of spending That Much money on a reusable bottle makes me feel a little sick.  So I've gone out and bought one cheaper version after another only to find that the quality and durability is minimal compared to my KK bottle.  Considering the fact that I drink water and coffee, with the rare treat of a fountain coke here and there, and I'm desperately trying to avoid energy drinks, I need another water bottle.  So I sit here, perusing their online store, and quailing at the thought of spending $20 (not including shipping), but I'm going to do it because my KK really was my favorite thing ever and I have noticed a marked decrease in my water intake and an enormously marked increase in my energy drink consumption.

Of course I use reusable grocery bags.  I went a bit hog wild and purchased a ton of envirosax and chicco bags.  While they're great bags, I've found that the bigger ones, similar in size and design to a traditional paper bag, sold at my grocery store for $.99/ea are my favorites.  They're sturdy, washable (a few times), and last quite a long time.  When it comes time to throw them away, well, it was only $.99 and I got at least a year of regular use for groceries and traveling (they make a great night away bags for the kids and myself) out of each one before it's time to let it go.  It doesn't hurt as badly.

I use other reusable products in my life and home, but I'll save them for another post.  Suffice to say, reusable products are great, and I love the fact that I rarely run out, and if I do I don't have to run to the store to pick up another roll of paper towels.  I do still use toilet paper, though I did briefly dabble in "family cloth."  It was a brief foray, I assure.

No comments:

Post a Comment